Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Exploring Jacob's Well: Some footage for your enjoyment

Exploring Jacob's Well: Some footage for your enjoyment: Our ROV team (AustinROV) put together some video footage from our many build days and I must say it looks quite decent. We are by no means film school graduates or documentary film producers but we are learning.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Art car 2

Here is some progress on the rocket engine for my rocket car. The top part is the combustion chamber and the fire comes out the bottom.

The plan is to have an adjustable fuel/air mix to find the maximum flame effect. Oh, and attach this to a moving vehicle.

Enjoy this tiny video of the flame effect.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Art car 1

I'm working on an art car. It is hard to describe what it looks like so I'll post some pictures. In the end this will be a flame spitting rocket ship. 

cutting parts off the donor vehicle

rear shot of the donor vehicle, post surgery

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

powercube engine 2

We are dry fitting the engine, tanks and pump. The plates have been drilled and fitted.

Grant is tack welding on the pump mounting plate. 

The engine and pump mount plates are tacked together. Now they're ready for finish welding which will solidify the four pieces of metal.

Here you can also see the tanks sort of fitting into the frame. We still need to re-check them for leaks and attach them to the frame.

These tanks are really hard to move on their own due to their weight. When combined with the frame it is no longer feasible to lift by hand. I think we're going to have to build a hoist, which we'll need later anyway to attach the Powercube to the Artcar.

You can find out more about this project on my powercube project page

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

powercube tanks 4 and engine 1

Yesterday we made some really good progress. Tanks were tested. We cut the shaft on the engine. Bolt holes appeared in a new engine mounting plate. It was a really good time.

underside of the 27HP water cooled motor
We used a rag with ice water to keep the shaft cool while cutting it with a portable bandsaw. 

we cut the shaft down by an inch (or so)
Next we'll be cutting and welding on the mount plates and tanks and looking for a shaft coupler. I believe the measurements were 1-1/8" engine side and 3/4" pump side.

the engine, frame and tanks came together and apart once again
You can find out more about this project on my powercube project page

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

My first Pull Request

After using open source software for a long time, I have finally found a way that I can contribute back to the community. Enter the OpenROV. I've been working on this project with a group of friends and some aspects of the software were bothering me. The software side is hosted on GitHub which makes it easy to contribute to (as well as easy to manage).


My first (public) pull request is a few small changes related to spelling corrections that were bothering me in the UI.


The request was accepted and merged into the OpenROV trunk! That is good news, it means my patches were accepted into the main codebase.

I'm tinkering with a Linux kernel module at the moment and if I can find the time I will also try to send up a pull request to raspbian to include it.